Recent guest posts
- “The here, the now, the nerdy” on The Nerdy Book Club
- “Fulfilling the needs of students and teachers in the classroom” on SmartBlog on Education
Recent posts on CoöpCatalyst
- “The License”
- “Beyond ‘The Teaching Crisis’”
- “Teacher remixed: 5 ways to change our profession”
- “People, problems, and wonder”
- “#dlday13: a year into democratizing composition”
Recent posts on Digital Is
- “#nerdcamp and the new educational transcendentalism”
- “Learning to be weird”
- “#openschools, open source, open world”
- “#NWPAM12 lightning talk slides & text”
The Evaluation (2013)
From the author’s note:
The Evaluation is a near-future, science-fiction
meditation on the state of teaching in the United States. It
is also—to a lesser and more personal extent—my
mediation on the future of professional development,
teacher leadership, and storytelling about public
education. In experimenting with quasi-long-form fiction
in The Evaluation, I hope to push myself into taking new
kinds of stances and actions against the standardization of
schools, the infantilization of teaching and learning, and
the commodification and punishment of our young
“The License” (2013)
“The License” is a short story about gamifying test results, licensing lifelong learning, and staffing schools to maintain the status quo.
- “If school had been….” Co-facilitator. Mozilla Festival. London, England, UK. 2012.
- “Composing the Web.” Co-facilitator. National Writing Project Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV. 2012.
- “Teachers hacking teachers: coding as play and literacy practice.” NCTE Annual Conference. Las Vegas, NV. 2012.
- “Hack on: the EduCon 2.5 hack jam.” Co-facilitator. EduCon 2.5. Philadelphia, PA. 2013.
- “I was promised flying schools: story-telling the future of public education.” Co-facilitator. EduCon 2.5. Philadelphia, PA. 2013.
I joined Rafi Santo for his Connected Learning TV conversation about hacker literacies.
Here is my Ignite Talk from #dml12 – something about an arrow in the knee:
- Judge, Figment “Why I Write” contest, Fall 2011
- Co-facilitator, C’Ville Coder Dojo, Summer 2012
- Co-facilitator, local #nerdcamp for educators, students, and parents, Spring 2013
- Super-mentor, Mozilla Teach the Web MOOC, Spring/Summer 2013
- Here’s a white paper sketch I wrote for a friend at a tech foundation; it’s about mobile- and paper-mediated web-making.
- If we share a passion for bringing democracy and play to our public schools, and if you have a project or post in need of illustration, I would love to work with you under some kind of time-bank arrangement.